Fantastic Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
Written by Roar Elias
This moist chocolate cake recipe will impress you.
There is nothing more disappointing than having your eyes glued to a beautiful piece of chocolate cake displayed in a coffee shop, which is iced in the most spectacular fashion, but when you sink your teeth into the cake it's bone dry. It's funny; we even have to invent a moist chocolate cake and give it that name in order to convince people that you are not going to have that terrible experience.
A moist chocolate cake recipe is often associated with a devil's food cake because this kind of cake is known to be completely moist. This is partly achieved with the use of beets and carrots. Not many people use this traditional recipe, but using something that contains more liquid is going to provide you with more moisture.
It can be extremely disappointing when you end up with a dry cake, especially when you think you have come up with something exciting or you are new to the wonderful world of baking. Here are a couple of tips:
- Look for recipes that contain hot water or coffee that will provide you with more of a runny consistency. You don't want to end up with a batter, which has the same consistency as you would get from bread dough. Something with more oil during the mixing process is also going to work well.
- Make sure the oven door is closed at all times and if you have a faulty oven, then this is the first thing you have to attend to.
- Keeping the cake covered in cling wrap will lock in the moisture. When it is cool then you can ice it. In this way it's not exposed to too much air that is going to dry it out.
- Adding a teaspoon of vinegar with the baking powder will also enhance the moisture content.
- A moist chocolate cake is going to look a lot runnier and not something that you are probably used to. Don't worry about that because this is how it is supposed to appear. Pour in the hot water last for the best results and stir it around until everything combines before popping it into the oven.
Here is a great recipe that has been tried and tested. The topping is perfect to create a luxurious taste.
A Basic Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 heaped Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup oil
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients to form batter, but don't beat it.
- Put it in the oven for 50 minutes
- Demould the cake and wrap in cling film to keep moist.
Ultra shiny chocolate glaze
- ½ cup sugar
- 85g (3 oz.) water
- 42g (1.5 oz.) cocoa powder
- 42g (1.5 oz.) cream
- 70g (2.5 oz.) gelatine leaves wet weight
- 80g (3 oz.) dark chocolate
- Add sugar, water, cocoa, cream and bring to the boil
- Soak gelatine leaves and squeeze out the water.
- Add the gelatine to the chocolate mixture and melt until dissolved.
- Wait for it to cool slightly
Now you can start making your cake look pretty with this fabulous glaze!
Subscribe to the to The Choc Blog be notified when we discover an even tastier recipe for moist chocolate cake recipe.
And if you have a chocolate based recipe of your own, please share with us by using the form below!
You May Also Want to Try...
Have A Great Chocolate Based Recipe?
Do you have an amazing recipe with chocolate you would like to show us? Share it!