Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
Written by Roar Elias
The flourless chocolate cake recipe section is one we use a lot for family occations.
My Father, Thea Sophies Grand Dad, has Celiac Disease, and I grew up in a household with a lot of gluten free cooking.
Gluten free baking can be difficult, but through trial and error we have come up with some tasty recipes.
This is currently one of my favorites.
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe with Chocolate Glaze
Here is one that we have found on about.com, an adaptation of the Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe by Linda Larsen, About.com Guide to Busy Cooks.
This flourless chocolate cake recipe may seem a bit small, but this is a very rich and full cake so that usually is no problem.
- 6 1-ounce squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Glaze:
- 2 1-ounce squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate squares
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk OR light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Agave syrup OR honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°F
Spray a 7-inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. If you don't have a tart pan, use a 6 to 7-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- Melt 6 ounces of chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook while stirring for about one minute, until sugar starts to dissolve.
- Remove pan from heat. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. The mixture will look smooth and glossy.
- Use a mesh hand sieve to sift cocoa into mixture. This prevents lumps. Whisk until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes. The center of the cake should be just firm to the touch, but be careful to not overbake the cake or it will be dry.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert the cake on a plate.
- To prepare the glaze, melt 2 ounces of chopped chocolate and 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the same saucepan you used to make the cake. When melted and smooth, remove the pan from heat. Add milk and Agave syrup OR honey and vanilla and stir until smooth and glossy. Let the glaze cool for about 3 minutes before pouring it on the cake.
- Pour all of the glaze in the middle of the cake. Use a silicone or rubber spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the cake, allowing the glaze to evenly run down the sides of the cake.
You May Also Want to Try...
Subscribe to the to The Choc Blog be notified when we discover an even tastier flourless chocolate cake recipe, and please share your own!
Have A Great Chocolate Based Recipe?
Do you have an amazing recipe with chocolate you would like to show us? Share it!