Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe - Always A Favorite!
Written by Roar Elias
Here is a simple chocolate cream pie recipe that anyone can make.
I don't know why making this pie is sometimes a little intimidating to those who don't see themselves as the best baker. You will discover if you find a good recipe to try, it is really not that difficult. It just takes a bit of patience, but you will be rewarded in more ways than one, pleasing friends and family members with the most fantastic flavors.
Maybe, the most challenging thing novice cooks will have with the average chocolate cream pie recipe is the pastry. It takes some time until you learn to get the hang of rolling the pastry out so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work out for you the first time around. You can also buy a ready made pastry crust in the store.
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate cookies, crushed
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 6 oz (170g) plain chocolate
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C / gas mark 5
- Crush up the cookies in a blender and stir in the melted butter until they combine. The cookie mixture should clump together nicely.
- Spread this mixture out in a flan pan evenly at the bottom and along the sides. It doesn't have to look perfect so don't worry too much about this.
- Bake this for 15 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk the cornstarch, sugar and salt together.
- Add the egg yolks and combine.
- Gradually pour in the milk, but keep whisking.
- The heat should be on a medium level, to avoid lumps. Keep an eye on the mixture, whilst you melt your chocolate.
- When the mixture on the heat becomes thick and it starts to boil then turn it down to a simmer. Do this for about a minute. Then take it off the heat.
- Maybe you should get one of your kids to help you with the next step. They have to hold the sieve over a bowl and you have to pour it through. This removes any lumps.
- Now you can stir in the melted chocolate as well as the butter and when this is combined you can pour it into your pastry case.
- This goes into the refrigerator to cool down. It's best to leave it there overnight, but it should be fine in about 6 hours time.
- The last step is to add the whipped cream. Whip this up until it forms soft peaks. Now spread this over the pie with a spatula.
This last bit is the easiest, but it is what really makes the pie and there are a whole lot of different options here. You can make a chocolate sauce and pour this on in a creative way. You can decorate it with crushed up Oreo biscuits or chocolate shavings. Of course some people just like the contrast between the dark chocolate and pure white cream and that is enough for them so it is really up to you.
Subscribe to the to The Choc Blog be notified when we discover an even tastier chocolate cream pie recipe.
And if you have a chocolate cream pie recipe of your own, please share with us by using the form below!
Have A Great Chocolate Based Recipe?
Do you have an amazing recipe with chocolate you would like to show us? Share it!