How to Make Chocolate from Scratch
Written by Roar Elias
This website is dedicated to how to make chocolate, in all its forms and varieties, starting from scratch. All recipes you will find here are chocolate recipes. Chocolate cake, chocolate fudge, chocolate ice cream. If it can be made using chocolate, we have the recipe!
But first we need to learn how chocolotate is made, and with our help you will soon be able to make it yourself!
Beloved by nearly everyone who tastes it, chocolate has been called the nectar of the gods. How to make chocolate, the food of lovers, is a question that is asked frequently by those who love it.
How difficult can it be?
Now, why exactly would you want to learn how to make chocolate of your very own when you can go and buy a couple of blocks at the store? There are many reasons for this. For some, this is just about the experience, and you have to admit it is rather unique. It's like making your own cheese. It's almost as if you can add this to your resume. If you have a couple of cocoa trees in your garden then you may as well make use of them. This is something to think about when you are landscaping. Plant something that has a purpose in your daily life. A regular tree is all good and well, but you will get a lot more joy out of real fruit produced from cocoa trees, not to mention the savings!
How to Make Chocolate from Scratch
If you want to learn how to make chocolate from scratch it is going to take some more time and patience, and if you have a cocoa plant in your garden you want to use for this process then you will have to go through 6 steps of drying and fermenting, which can take up to 14 days. The beans are then roasted to develop those fantastic flavours, following a process known as cracking and winnowing. The nibs are refined and then we come to another lengthy process where cocoa liquor is conched. Tempering is of course the final stage. Let's discover how to make chocolate that will really blow your mind away!
We are going to stick to pre-fermented and dried cocoa beans for now. A lot of people think that making chocolate from cocoa powder is the way to go, but if you want something sensational then cocoa beans are your best bet. Even if you can get your hands on cocoa pods, it is best to start simple. In saying that, this is not something that should put you off by its technical jargon. You may have once thought you were out of your depth making something like a chocolate lava cake, but once you get down to it, you realize that it's really not rocket science!
Roasting the Cocoa Beans for Great Flavor
Take out 100g (3.5oz.) of the finest cocoa beans and spread them out in a roasting pan. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200 degrees C and usually you will roast them for five minutes, turning the heat down to 250 degrees F / 120 degrees C for another 5-10 minutes. The main aim is to separate the shells from the beans and to do that you need to turn up the heat. Obviously you need to keep an eye on them and turn the heat down at a certain point so that your beans don't burn. This is not like making a stew where you can go and read a book until it's time to serve up. Here, you have to keep on watching. When you hear your beans start to crack and pop and you smell something vinegary then it's time to take your beans out. Let them cool down.
Winnowing the Nibs
A term like, "winnowing the nibs" is something that overwhelms many, but if you think about it, a lot of people use big words to impress so this is just a fancy way of separating the outsides from the insides. There is a long way and a short way of doing this. You can either peel the skins off yourself. The faster way is to crack the beans and then blow air on them. You can do this by just putting the whole lot in a plastic bag and giving them a big whack with a rolling pin or the back of a pan. Do this until they are crushed. Now get yourself a hairdryer and put the beans in a bowl. Blow the air gently towards the bowl from a distance. This way the skins will fly from the bowl and you will be left with the nibs. Give the bowl a shake whilst you are doing this. Examine that the skins are all gone.
The next step involves refining, which is where you will be processing the nibs as smoothly as possibly. Find a chocolate or a spice grinder - the best that you can get your hands on because next to a chocolate melangeur, which is terribly expensive, these are your best bet.
To settle on your required sweetness you have to know how much chocolate you want. For example if you want 70% chocolate then you will want 30g of sugar and 70 g of nibs to make 100g (3.5oz) of chocolate.
- Add the sugar and grind it up to a fine powder
- Next, add the nibs and grind them up for about 5 minutes. The texture you see will first resemble something like ground coffee, but later down the line it will turn into a thick liquid when the cocoa butter starts to melt. It is important to stop the grinder every so often so you can scrape this up from the bottom and the sides and this will help with the consistency. You will know it is done when it starts to flow easily.
Now it's time to turn to conching. This helps bring out those delicate flavours. Get out the mortar and pestle and heat it up by putting in a warm oven for a couple of minutes. Now add the chocolate in here and start grinding. Keep on tasting as you go along and when the taste buds tell you that it is good to go then it's done. If you have a lot of chocolate, then put it in a mixer with a paddle attachment and whip it up slowly for about an hour.
How to Make Chocolate Better by Tempering
The final stage involves tempering of the chocolate. This is another subject altogether and you will find that it is useful in some cases, whilst a lot of the time it's really not necessary. However, in this case, if you want to go the extra mile and have some fine quality chocolate then I really recommend you don't skip this stage. You have come so far so it would be crazy at this stage of the game to start to get lazy.
Cocoa butter needs to crystallize into a variety of forms. Tempering will help to stabilize the chocolate and this is the difference between something that tastes like it has been made really well and something quite inferior. You can do this by hand or with a special tempering machine. If you do it by hand you really have to keep an eye on it at all times.
You are going to start off by melting it. You should get yourself a thermometer and attach this to the double boiler. Now it's a case of heating the chocolate to a certain temperature. Take the chocolate off the heat and let it cool down. Now spread some of the chocolate out on a marble or a granite surface and work it around then add some more chocolate from the bowl, then put the whole lot back in the bowl. Mix this around and you start to see air bubbles, which is a good sign. Always keep an eye on the temperatures because this is what will produce fine quality chocolate at the end of the day.
Now you know how to make chocolate, and you can officially call yourself a chocolatier!
Now that we have the basics covered, lets get to all those delightful choclate recipes!
How to make chocolate truffles, ice cream, cookies, cakes and desserts.
Let's get cooking!
- The Choc Blog
- Get updates whenever new content is added to How to Make Chocolate!
- About How to Make Chocolate
- About How to Make Chocolate, who we are and why we do what we do.
- A Brief History Of Chocolate
- If we look at the history of chocolate, it will tell us that so much revolves around this fantastic ingredient in baking and even cooking today and how it has advanced over the ages.
- Melting Chocolate the Easy Way
- A lot of people run into trouble with melting chocolate and this is definitely something you have to take care with, especially when you have a bar of chocolate that is on the expensive side.
- Tempering Chocolate - A Basic Guide
- Once you know about tempering chocolate, you will find there are a whole range of opportunities available in the wonderful world of chocolate making.
- Buying a Chocolate Tempering Machine? Read This First!
- A chocolate tempering machine could be an investment worth serious consideration, but why and when would you need one, and where can you get one at a good price?
- Your Own Chocolate Truffle Recipe!
- This chocolate truffle recipe is great basic confectionery, and can be varied in a number of ways.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Chocolate chip cookie bars are a popular treat no matter what time of year it happens to be. The bars are rich and smooth and there are lots of different ways that you can customize your recipe.
- Chocolate Fudge Recipe: Quick or Old-Fashioned
- Looking for a chocolate fudge recipe? Whether quick and easy or authentically old-fashioned, a batch of fudge can conjure good memories
- Our Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Our best chocolate cake recipe is a Norwegian variety and a family recipe.
- German Chocolate Cake Recipe to die for!
- This German chocolate cake recipe is for a is a rich and gooey cake that is full of chocolate-filled layers that are finally topped with a frosting made of pecans and coconuts.
- Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- This chocolate brownie recipe goes great with home made ice cream!
- Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Flourless chocolate cake recipe collection for gluten free chocolate treats.
- Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
- We use a very basic chocolate cheesecake recipe that works like a dream every time.
- Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe
- Whipping up a chocolate fudge cake recipe is a simple and fun way to share some quality time with your kids.
- A Chocolate Mousse Cake For All Occasions
- If you want a cake to impress then you should really consider trying a chocolate mousse cake.
- Moist Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- We found this great chocolate zucchini cake recipe, which you will definitely love. Chocolate and zucchini makes the perfect combination because they give the cake more moisture.
- Decadent Chocolate Lava Cake
- If you are not American, then you will probably not be familiar with a chocolate lava cake, but you may know about a chocolate fondant. Both of these are basically the same thing.
- Molten Chocolate Cake - The Perfect Dinner Party Dessert
- A molten chocolate cake will make the perfect dinner party dessert. If you have heard that this is difficult to make then don't believe any of these rumours because this is simply a matter of timing.
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Chocolate cherry cake is something that chocoholics will delight in.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake - The Ultimate Comfort Dessert!
- If you are not familiar with the chocolate pudding cake, then you may know it as a self-saucing chocolate cake or a chocolate fudge cake.
- Fantastic Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
- A moist chocolate cake recipe is often associated with a devil's food cake because this kind of cake is known to be completely moist. This is partly achieved with the use of beets and carrots.
- Great Tasting Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
- One of the things that I found to be a real delight is chocolate chip cheesecake. You can use your normal cheesecake recipe and then add in the chocolate chips or you can get fancy with a ganache.
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe That You Can Use in Your Own Kitchen
- Everyone wants to know the best chocolate chip cookie recipe! So, if you are looking to get your hands on the best out there, you don't have to look any further!
- The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- A chocolate cookie recipe like this is normally just basic dough with a couple of chocolate chips mixed in. But you may be surprised the taste sensations you can get with a couple more ingredients.
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
- Chocolate pecan pie recipe that will make your mouth water!
- Decadent Chocolate Chess Pie
- A truly decadent southern chocolate chess pie that is not only wonderfully mouth watering, it's also good for you too! (Sort of.)
- Amazing Chocolate Pie Recipe
- This delightful chocolate pie recipe will have you licking your fingers after eating that pie.
- Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe - Always A Favorite!
- Give this chocolate cream pie recipe a try, it is really not that difficult. It just takes a bit of patience, but you will be rewarded in more ways than one.
- Addictive Chocolate Silk Pie
- Making chocolate silk pie for your better half is really going to do wonders for your relationship so it's definitely worthwhile.
- Creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Creamy chocolate peanut butter pie for those who have a real love for peanut butter.
- Luxurious Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Chocolate mousse pie has been known to be kind of rich for some, but this is a matter of preference. To even this out, you will place a generous helping of cream on top.
- Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- Here is a basic chocolate chip muffin recipe to get you started. There is no doubt; just about everyone loves a good old muffin.
- Dellicious Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes are a firm favourite amongst many young and old. Overall, this little cake was once something that was meant solely for kids parties, but they have taken off in a huge way.
- Death by Chocolate Recipe
- This Death by Chocolate recipe is definately worthy of its name!
- Three Fab Chocolate Fondue Recipes
- Getting some of the best chocolate fondue recipes is a must for anyone who wants to organize a fondue party to remember. It's not a case of just melting chocolate in a big pot.
- Delicious Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Here is a chocolate pudding recipe that you can try. Chocolate pudding that is homemade doesn't have to be difficult to make and it tastes so much better than the packaged types.
- Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- There is not just one chocolate ice cream recipe out there. You can really go to town and use your good old imagination.
- Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- A chocolate mousse recipe is relatively simple but with some creative additions, this simple treat can magically morph into a delectable dish that wins hearts.
- Time To Make Chocolate Souffle
- Don't let something like a chocolate souffle be a nerve wrecking experience. The soufflé may not rise or may fall to fast, but once you get to know more about them, you can learn how to improve.
- Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Not everyone thinks something named chocolate bread pudding will really leave you satisfied, but this is definitely a treat to remember.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Chocolate covered strawberries are a classic. They bring on a sense of luxury to the table and all you need to create this special atmosphere with are strawberries and chocolate.
- The Best Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Once you have your own base hot chocolate recipe, you can then move on to something more creative like adding chilli or orange for a little variation.
- Best Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
- Coming across a hot chocolate mix recipe is not hard because there are so many of them. However, not all of them are as good as we expect them to be.
- Classic Chocolate Milkshake
- You can still make a fine chocolate milkshake without a milkshake machine. Just get yourself a blender and with top quality ingredients you will be on your way to something to surprise everyone.
- A Classic Chocolate Sauce Recipe
- This chocolate sauce recipe can be used in so many different ways from drizzling it on vanilla ice cream to using it as a ganache.
- Best Chocolate Frosting Recipe Ever!
- This chocolate frosting recipe has been a family secret and can not be found elsewhere on the web. Until now.
- Dipping Chocolate Fondue Sauce
- This is a dipping chocolate fondue sauce, which is great for almost any occasion.
- Basic Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- If you love chocolate, then a chocolate ganache recipe is something that you definitely have to get hold of and learn how to make.
- Brilliant Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- There is nothing like a block of chocolate peanut butter fudge every so often. However, there are few of us who can say that we are completely successful at making any form of fudge.
- Dark Chocolate Truffles - Little Bites of Heaven
- Delicious dark chocolate truffles epitomize luxury, with their creamy texture and just the right amount of sweetness, it's no wonder they are often given as tokens of affection.
- Contribute to How To Make Chocolate
- Would you like to share your knowledge about how to make chocolate? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.
Have A Great Chocolate Based Recipe?
Do you have an amazing recipe with chocolate you would like to show us? Share it!